How Much Liability Insurance Do I Need?


Posted: April 14, 2020
Woman and man at scene of rear-end collision

In the state of California, all motorists are required to carry an insurance plan that provides at the minimum:

  • $5,000 in Property Damage Liability
  • $3,500 in Uninsured Motorist Property Damage
  • $15,000 per person / $30,000 per accident in Bodily Injury Liability 
  • $15,000 per person / $30,000 per accident in Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury Liability 

Failure to carry at least this amount of insurance coverage while operating a motor vehicle is illegal. Sadly, irresponsible drivers are known to disregard insurance requirements despite the risk that places on them and everyone else on the road.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

Uninsured motorist coverage is how car accidents are paid for when only one driver has insurance. In these cases, even if the insured driver is free of fault, he or she will need to file a claim with their own insurance company for property damage and medical expenses.

It is important to remember that, even though you deal with your own insurance company following an accident with an uninsured motorist, you may have to fight for the full compensation you are due. Having an attorney on your side can help make this process easier and may speed and even increase the settlement you receive.

How Much Insurance Do I Need?

Liability coverage protects you following an accident with an uninsured motorist, but by and large, it is designed to provide others with compensation following an accident for which you share the blame. 

Bearing in mind that car accident damages, such as medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, adaptive technologies, and personal pain and suffering, can quickly compound, it is a good idea to carry at least $500,000 in liability coverage. In this way, you are better prepared to deal with the true financial costs associated with recovering from a serious auto accident.

In addition to liability, which is required, it is a good idea to carry optional coverage as well. This includes comprehensive, collision, extended, and gap coverage. These types of coverage may also provide you with additional sources of compensation following accidents you did not cause. We can discuss this with you, based on your personal plan, during your free consultation.

Start building your case by calling 775-300-7594 (NV) or 916-800-6090 (CA) for a free consultation with REA Law. We serve clients in and around Reno - Sparks and throughout Nevada.  REA Law also has offices in Sacramento servicing California. We maintain offices in Reno, Nevada, and Sacramento, California. 

Category :